In Mexico there are millions of people that use cellphones every second of the day, sending and receiving information on the Internet. This works thanks to the use of telecommunications networks, which today require a greater capacity and infrastructure in order to attend to the increasing demand of the Mexican users.
For this reason, Red Compartida has come about, a project that stems from the Reforma de Telecomunicaciones, driven by President Enrique Peña Nieto and the main political forces in the country. However, this reform will be deployed and operated through private capital, attracting larger investments and jobs in Mexico. This project is coordinated by Secretaría de Comunicaciones y Transportes and Instituto Federal de Telecomunicaciones.
Main Characteristics of Red Compartida
- Optimize the usage of assigned spectrum (700 MHz broadband)
- Costs reductions and coverage increase in regions without this services.
- Neither operators’ investment inhibition, nor advantages or disadvantages for the participants.
In this Public-Private Association, Mexican government will provide the radio spectrum and the use of the developed backbone network by the Federal Electricity Commission (CFE). The private share, ALTÁN Redes will contribute with the investment and technical experience that has allowed the consortium to successfully develop Red Compartida.
Currently, each mobile carrier has deployed infrastructure, which is expensive and obstructs the service arrival in remote areas within the country. With Red Compartida, the costs will be reduced due to the wholesaler, ALTÁN Redes, so the operators will supply better quality services.
Red Compartida contribute multiple benefits:
- Coverage in zones that currently do not have signal: Red Compartida will enable an offering of broadband services in zones that currently do not have services or have just one option.
- Improvements for a better quality telecommunications service: Current and future carriers will have better coverage and capacity for better and more service supplies to the population.
- Prices lower than the current ones: Red Compartida will contribute to lower mobile services prices for the next years.
- Increase in productivity and competitiveness: A more dynamic telecommunications sector promotes more national and foreign investment, and will strength the economy’s productivity and competitiveness.
- Encouragement of innovative digital servicing: Red Compartida will enable to create and provide access to technology and apps that the population will benefit from in order to generate entrepreneurship projects, new productive technics and new ways to create and deliver trade.
- Promote productivity and competitivity: A more dynamic telecommunications sector that promotes increased national and foreign investment, and strengthens productivity and competitiveness in the country’s economy.
- Strengthen innovation in digital services: The Red Compartida will allow the creation and access to technologies and applications that the population can take advantage of in order to generate business projects, new productive techniques, and ways of commerce.
Red Compartida will be used to synchronize intelligent articles like ATMs, surveillance services, pedestrian lights, cars, alarms, TVs and refrigerators, prosthetics, among others, allowing the internet of things ecosystem to growth. It will also help to create smart cities through the control of traffic jams, civil protection alerts, sensors to measure and prevent water leaks, public and private transportation monitoring, goods tracking in highways and more.
Lastly, the Shared Network is an innovative platform to add value to everything we do, driving the telecommunications sector to become something so much more dynamic, as well as attracting foreign investment, creating a more prosperous, including, and global Mexico.
Currently, each mobile operater has to deploy its infrastructure, which is very costly and does not allow the service to reach other more separated parts of the country. With the Red Compartida, these required investments will be reduced due to the services that ALTÁN Redes will offer to telecommunications opperators so that they can have a higher quality service.
There will be multiple benefits for the populations due to the increase in competition, which will heighten and better the signal in all of the country. This means we will hate a more advanced network -4G- thanks to the decrease in the cost of operators, there will be lower prices with a projected cost of half of what it is now by 2018 for Mega Bites once the Red Compartida begins its operations.
In regards to digital inclusion, not only will current users benefit, but those who do not have these types of services will as well, without forgetting that Mexico’s Pueblos Mágicos or Magic Towns will now have coverage.
Mexico’s Groundbreaking Telecommunications Project